Monday, March 19, 2007

Lottery Winner to Buy 254 Million Lottery Tickets

James Wilson, the 84-year-old St. Louis native who won the tenth biggest lottery jackpot in U.S. history, plans to use his winnings to buy 254 million lottery tickets.

"I view it as an investment," said the soon-to-be-broke Wilson. "You have to spend money to make money, and with 254 million lottery tickets I stand a damned-good chance of finally hitting the jackpot."

When asked to explain his logic, Wilson replied, "this strategy is obviously successful. And when something works, you stick with it!"

In order to prevent him from spending his winnings, Wilson's family is fighting to have him declared mentally incapacitated.

"He's a lunatic," said Julia Fenster, Wilson's granddaughter, who claims his behavior is not unusual. "He spent my dad's college fund on lottery tickets. He spent his retirement money on lottery tickets. He even hocked the espresso-maker I got him for Christmas for scratch-and-win cards. If he spends this jackpot on lottery tickets, I'll kill him. I will honest-to-God, freaking kill him."

Rather than place an injunction on Wilson from spending his winnings, the St. Louis Courthouse has placed a restraining order on Julia Fenster.

Which lottery will Wilson play next? "I've got my eye on the $175 million New Jersey Lottery jackpot," he said. "That's a lot of money!"

No comments: